Tel: (410) 290-FROTH Fax: (410) 290-6795
Bad Moon Porter
OG: 1.053 FG: 1.012 IBU: 28.6
7 lb. light Liquid unhopped malt extract
¾ lb. Chocolate Malt
¼ lb Black Malt
¼ lb Crystal 120L
¼ lb Crystal 60L
1.5 oz Fuggle hop pellets
1.5 oz. Kent Goldings hop pellets
1 tsp. Irish moss
White Labs California Ale or 1 pkg. S-05 dry ale yeast
1-1/4 cups dry malt extract for priming or 3/4 cup priming sugar
1. Steep grains in hop bag in 1.5 gallons of water at 155 for 30 minutes.
2. Remove grains. Bring Water level up to 5.5 gallons.
3. Add malt extract and bring to boil. Boil time is 60 minutes. Add .50 oz. each Fuggle and
Kent Goldings to a boil.
4. Boil for 45 min then add Irish Moss and .50 oz Fuggle and Kent Goldings. Continue boiling
for 15 minutes. During last minute of boil add .50oz each of Fuggle and Kent Goldings hops.
5. Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80.
6. Allow to sit in the fermenter at 68-72 for about seven days, then use a sanitized hydrometer
to ensure that the beer has reached its final gravity.
7. Rack to a secondary fermenter (glass carboy) after 7 days. Let sit another week.
8. Prime and bottle. When priming, dissolve corn sugar or dry malt extract in two pints of boiling
water for 5 minutes. Pour this mixture into the empty bottling bucket and siphon the beer
from the fermenter over it. This method ensures that the priming sugar will disperse evenly
through your beer. For proper carbonation, store your beer at 75 for at least the first week
after bottling. This will allow the yeast to feed on the priming sugar and produce the
necessary carbon dioxide needed for carbonation. It's ready to drink, but it wil improve if you
age your beer another two to three weeks.